- 4,114 families from all 50 states, DC and the Virgin Islands have moved to Kingsport
- The net gain of “moved to” vs. “moved away” was +580 families or 1,334 individuals (it had been as low as the high 400’s in previous years)
- Each net newcomer generates has $25,000 buying power, that’s $33,350,000 in annual consumer spending
- All metrics (out-of-state relocations, moved into existing structures, moved from <35 miles away) show positive trendlines except new construction, which has become a targeted strategy. Out of state relocations is flat based on the data from this last year alone. This may be anomalous as all other recent data shows slow growth, but we are continuing to monitor the issue.
- Washington, DC-VA-MD-WV recaptured the #1 slot, edging out Tampa Bay, FL as the #1 out-of-state market moving to Kingsport. Rounding out the Top 10 are Atlanta, Miami, Asheville, New York, Chicago, Charlotte, Orlando, and Virginia Beach
- Out of state relocation is unusually low (does not include Virginia relocations).
- New residential construction was up 33% compared to the average of the past 6 years
- % of newcomers occupying new housing was 5% compared to 5-8% in previous years
Lynn Tully, AICP
Development Services Director
City of Kingsport
Ph: (423) 229-9319