KINGSPORT – Kingsport City Schools will be accepting zoning and tuition applications for students in grades K-12 beginning February 8 through April 30.
Parents who would like to request their child attend a different city school outside the school zone their student is expected to attend must apply for a zoning exception. Parents of students who are not legal residents of the city of Kingsport must submit a tuition application to attend a Kingsport City school. Parents or legal guardians must apply annually for their child's tuition and zoning status, even if they attended a Kingsport City School in 2009-2010.
Applications will be made available online at Kingsport City School's website at www.k12k.com. Paper copies will also be available at Kingsport City School's administrative office at 1701 E. Center Street.
The following are excerpts from the Kingsport Board of Education's policies and procedures for zoning and tuition:
- Parents or legal guardians must apply annually for their child's tuition and zoning status.
- Students who are not legal residents of the city of Kingsport shall pay tuition charges as approved annually by the Board of Education. Failure to pay tuition will disqualify a student's application for the next year.
- Tuition students are accepted and zoning exceptions are granted only if current enrollment permits.
- The system does not provide bus transportation to either tuition or zoning-exemption students.
Criteria for zoning exceptions are as follows:
- Documented medical reasons;
- Child Care availability;
- An expected move to a different zone;
- Specialized school programs;
- A fifth or an eighth grade student with a previous zoning exception;
- A student whose family has moved to a different zone after November 1;
- Documented justifications related to the child's specific educational experience.
The school system utilizes the following order when placing students:
- Zoning exception reapplications;
- Tuition reapplications for school employees working at the requested school;
- New zoning exceptions applications;
- Tuition reapplications;
- New tuition applications for school employees working a the requested school;
- New tuition applications for system and city employees;
- New tuition applications for out of district residents.
For more information, call Tyler Fleming, Director of Student Services, at (423) 378-2155.
Tuesday, February 09, 2010
Kingsport City Schools: Zoning and Tuition 2010
www.MoveToKingsport.com is located on the Tennessee-Virginia border at the crossroads of I-81 and I-26 near the geographic center of the Eastern U.S. This city of 50,000 in a metro of 308,000, was planned by renowned American planner John Nolen in his office at Harvard Square. Located in the lush green foothills of the Tennessee Valley, it is surrounded by the Southern Highlands and mountain lakes. Kingsport is home to Marriott’s www.MeadowViewResort.com and thousands of acres of unique, natural amenities at Bays Mountain and Warriors Path Parks. The natural geography provides a temperate, well-balanced climate with four seasons and a natural shelter from extreme weather. Population growth has also been well-balanced, ensuring you will not outgrow your decision to relocate. With no personal property taxes, special assessments, or state income taxes on salaries/wages, you’ll find that Kingsport has a very low cost of living coupled with an exceptionally high quality of life (see for yourself at www.BestPlaces.net). The regional airport (TRI) has direct flights to Atlanta, Charlotte, Orlando and St. Pete/Clearwater with easy access, parking, and virtually no security lines. The public education system was planned by Columbia University and Newsweek has repeatedly recognized the local high school as one of the best in America. Year in and year out our graduates go on to the top colleges and universities (and without costly private school tuition fees). Harvard also recognized Kingsport in 2009 with the Innovations in American Government Award for its higher education initiative. What are you waiting for? It’s time to leave the high costs, traffic jams, and stress behind and discover this hidden gem.