The Indian Path Medical Center & Niswonger Children's Hospital Crazy 8s 8K Run is scheduled for Saturday night, July 15th in Kingsport, TN. Race organizers are adding a new crazy twist to the evening's activities by offering the "Totally Crazy" award which people can earn by running or walking BOTH the 3K and the 8K back to back.
This is how participants can earn the Totally Crazy award:
1. Run or walk the Almost Crazy 3K Run/Walk. Previously called the 3K Moon Walk, which was an un-timed walk in the past, the Almost Crazy 3K will be officially timed, and participants can choose to either run or walk. The event will continue to be family-oriented with the emphasis on participation and fun.
2. Run or walk the Crazy 8s 8K. Upon completion of the 8K, participants who finished both the 3K and the 8K will receive not only their Crazy 8s medal, but also a very unique Totally Crazy medal.
Totally Crazy participants can enter both events with one discounted entry fee. They will receive the official performance Crazy 8s t-shirt as well as the Crazy 8s 8K medal and the Totally Crazy medal. The 3K starts one hour before the 8K so participants doing both should have ample time to complete the 3K, catch their breath, and then be ready for the starting gun of the 8K.
"We think this will be a very fun and exciting addition to Crazy 8s," said co-event director Natalie Whitlock. "People are always looking for new challenges, and we think the 3K/8K combination will get people excited, and is very doable at the same time. We also think those who have traditionally walked in the 3K Moon Walk will enjoy receiving official and published results."
Additionally, organizers are moving the start times for the 3K and the 8K a little earlier in the evening. The Almost Crazy 3K Run/Walk will start at 7:58 pm, and the Crazy 8s 8K will start at 8:58 pm, which is an hour earlier than past years.
"After 27 years we wanted to mix things up a little bit," said co-event director Hank Brown. "We started by taking an unofficial poll in relation to start times. The majority of responses indicated that people, especially those with families, were excited about an earlier start. The earlier times will allow for more families to attend whether they're running, walking or cheering on family and friends. There was some concern about heat, but July in the South sees very little temperature change once the sun goes down. The 8K will still be run after dark on candle-lit streets, and that's one reason Crazy 8s is so special and unique."
New Crazy 8s Evening Schedule, Saturday July 15:
· 6:00 pm – Little 8s Field Day activities begin.
· 6:58 pm – McDonald's of Greater Kingsport Little 8s and Special 8s age group races begin
· 7:58 pm – Almost Crazy 3K Run/Walk presented by Wellmont/CVA & Eastman Credit Union
· 8:58 pm – Indian Path Medical Center & Niswonger Children's Hospital Crazy 8s 8K Run
For more information about Crazy 8s, or to register for the event, go to www.crazy8s.org